Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do You Collect "Collectors Editions"?
PGen98
Advanced
Post Do You Collect "Collectors Editions"?
on: October 29, 2012, 19:46

Pretty simple question -- do you collect the Collectors' Edition games?

I've always been somewhat on the edge about collecting them over standard editions, since the benefits of Collectors Editions are usually pretty slim. I do collect for titles that interest me (Mass Effect 3, Forza 4, Halo 3 [Collectors and Legendary {sealed}], Halo 4, Halo Wars, Halo Reach [Same as Halo 3], and Fable 3 being prime examples), but if there's a game that I want to play, but am not necessarily interested in it beyond curiosity, I usually go for the Standard versions (Gears of War, for instance).

I know in time to come there's a chance they MAY be collectible and/or valuable; however, I've often wondered how many people actively collect them. I bit on games like Halo 2 for the original Xbox, and while it's still one of my favourite original Xbox games, its status as a collectors item is somewhat laughable. Obviously I would expect that to change 10 or 15 years into the future, but is that overly ambitious? Am I alone in collecting these items, or should be more actively pursuing them?

LuzZelenia
Pro
Post Re: Do You Collect "Collectors Editions"?
on: October 29, 2012, 19:53

For my experience, anything that is created with the intention of being a collectors item and marketed as such doesn't end up being very collectible, adding only a few dollars if any and sometimes even detracting value. The only time I go for the collectors addition is if it has some fun extras like plushies or posters or actual changes to the game.

DoctorFeel-
good
Beginner
on: October 29, 2012, 20:43

LuzZelenia is right, except for games that are ALREADY rare. Those collector's editions, especially if very few are made, become extremely rare. I never collect them unless I either get them for a great deal, or they have some special to offer, like a new character or some cool physical content like maps or whatnot. I've never seen collector's edition detracting from the price, but I have seen "Greatest Hits" or something similar detracting from it. Mostly because nobody cares that it's a greatest hit and mostly want the original art work on the box.

I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like is any of this for real or not?

Jinx
Beginner
on: October 29, 2012, 21:34

I purchased 3 collector's editions in my life. One was for Star Wars Galaxies. Not because it was supposed to be a collector's item, but because of the perks I got in game.

The second was the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition. It included a Vault Boy bobblehead and came in a Fallout 3 lunch pale. The same lunch pale you see scattered throughout the game. lol

Third was Grand Theft Auto 4. It included a really cool art book, sound track CD (unfortunately the game had lousy music) and came in a safe deposit box style case. I still use the case to hold my video game accessories.

All said and done, I'm glad I bought these collector's editions. It's cool to have the extra swag. All said and done though, I would only buy collector's editions of games I'm really looking forward to playing and have a pretty clear idea the games are going to be good.

--------------------
My Consoles: PS3, PS2 slim, PS2 slim (JPN), PSOne, Xbox 360 slim, Xbox, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis 2 & 3, Game Gear, Wii U, Wii, GameCube, Game Boy, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, 3DS-XL, SNES 2, 3DO, CD-i, Neo Geo CD (JPN), Neo Geo Pocket (JPN)
My Arcades: Hard Drivin', Nintendo Playchoice 10, Nintendo Red Tent, Batman (1990), Neo Geo MVS (2-slot)

Richard
on: October 29, 2012, 22:48

Since I mostly buy RPGs yeah. They almost always retain their value and in many cases go up quite a bit. I use to buy other collector's editions, but after seeing how much the prices dropped on these things I stopped. I may still buy the CE, but will be for a fraction of the price.

I am not interested in anything that revolves around a plastic statue anymore. Art books and books in general interest me a lot. I love art books and collect them, so that is a big incentive for me.

PGen98
Advanced
on: October 29, 2012, 23:04

I've never heard of a collectors item that detracts from the value, but I do agree that they hardly ever add much, if any, value. I pick up the Collectors Editions when they're titles that really interest me (as listed above) and when they have great incentives to do so. The only one I really regret buying the CE for is Fable 3, since it came with nothing more than a pack of cards (haven't opened them, so no idea if they're just standard cards or something else) and a little good/evil coin. I love the case ("book") it came in, but I do feel a bit stupid for having gone for it. Other than that, my CE's are typically ones that had good extras packaged with them.

I also agree that it's mostly the art books that interest me. Mass Effect 3 has a great one, and I can't deny that I love the Top Gear commentary in Forza 4.

Outlaw
Beginner
on: October 29, 2012, 23:49

Not for the newer xbox 360 sadly besides a Halo 3, but for the older Xbox I have the Doom 3, Mech Assault 2 : Lonewolf, and Halo 2 Collector titles. They look cool and most have a "making of" or DLC disc included.

wildbird51-
Pro
on: October 30, 2012, 03:12

I buy CEs only when it comes with something but an exclusive DLC content. I love when they throw a figure inside, a good art book, a soundtrack. For example I have a Dissidia Final Fantasy Limited Collector's Edition, it comes with a soundtrack, artwork book and a small guide, very good WC reading. I have a Castlevania Lords of Shadow Limited Collector's Edition, it comes with a soundtrack and a brass mask. Macross Triangle Frontier comes with a Sheryl Nome statue, some good detail I must say. I have more, but I can't really remember what was inside.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

starseed19-
on: October 30, 2012, 08:14

I've never felt the urge to get into them. But that Bioshock Infinite one does look interesting...

DoctorFeel-
good
Beginner
on: October 30, 2012, 14:14

Quote from starseed1981 on October 30, 2012, 08:14
I've never felt the urge to get into them. But that Bioshock Infinite one does look interesting...

Agreed. Definitely going to pick it up as I am a huge Bioshock fan. Not sure if I have a favorite collector's edition, but Hyrule Historia, the Legend of Zelda art book, is definitely one of my all time favorite art books.

I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like is any of this for real or not?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.388 seconds.