Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help With Commodore 64
BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
Post Help With Commodore 64
on: November 24, 2012, 15:21

I recently got a Commodore 64 at Goodwill for only $4. But it's a work in-progress. I only got the computer itself, not the floppy-drive or any cords. I have gotten a power cord, and it works fine (an official Commodore one).

Next I got a T.V. connection cord and I can see what's going on. The familiar Commodore 64 BASIC screen shows up on my T.V. Success! It works!

But my problem is that the picture is little fuzzy and the text is shimmering at me (like when the Atari 2600 does "special effects" in a game shimmery). I was using the cord to my TurboGrafx-16, which also has issues. So this led me to believe that I needed to a new cord. I go down to the local used game shop and pick and NES one up for $5. It did help the fuzz on my TurboGrafx-16, but the C64 still had the same issues.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? Anything that wouldn't involve soldering? Because I don't have one.

It's still usuable, in the most basic sense. But I'm afraid the games might have this shimmering effect if and when I get a floppy drive and they'll be unplayable.

Thanks for any help. 😀

Kharnivore-
Post Re: Help With Commodore 64
on: November 27, 2012, 05:40

Have you tried looking for a scart/AV cable? Im currently using a regular RF cable on mine and it looks terrible, it didn't bother me as a kid but these days you really do notice the interference.

My RF socket is actually a little bit loose too so i have to move it around a bit to get a clearer signal, that WILL involve resoldering. Hence why im just going for the Scart/AV option.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: November 27, 2012, 17:16

Got the A/V advice on another board. I already ordered one on eBay and it's on it's way. I thought that other port was for another accessory, since it looks so similar to the floppy drive port.

maverickbn-
a
on: December 20, 2012, 22:50

There are composite video cables available for the C64, it connects to a DIN-type connector on the C64. I'll have to look to get details to give you any further information. Also there was a Commodore monitor available, they did not use the standard composite connectors.

maverickbn-
a
on: July 9, 2013, 19:26

Hey, did you ever get your issue resolved? Look for the Commodore 1702 monitor, it split up the chrominance and luminance signals from the DIN connector, similar to how S-Video works, it might just be more practical to use an emulator if you want the HQ audio and video. Let me know if you want resources for obtaining game disk image files for emulation purposes.

Cheers, and enjoy your C64! Great memories to be had with it. 🙂

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.236 seconds.