Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Whats your opinion on emulators?
LuzZelenia
Pro
Post Whats your opinion on emulators?
on: November 26, 2012, 11:59

I'm curious what everyone's opinion on emulators is. Some people hate them, some people love them. As for me, I like them, they don't compare to playing the games on their original console though. If I have the original game and console, that's what ill be playing the game on, however, if I don't have the game and console, if the game wasn't released in my country or if the game is ridiculously priced then I'll emulate it. Though, I think flash carts + the original system are best for those situations, however that can be pricey as well. I don't have much of a problem with them morally either, I don't emulate console newer than the ps1 and n64. If GameStop still sells the games, I won't emulate it. Coming this next console generation, I'm sure I'll be fine emulating original Xbox, ps2 and GameCube games as well. I figure theres no hurting anyone this way since if I were to buy these games, the money wouldn't be going to the game developers anyways.

So what is your opinion on emulators?

MetalJesus-
Rocks
Administrator
Post Re: Whats your opinion on emulators?
on: November 26, 2012, 12:16

I think emulators are great for the industry over all, because they keep these old games alive. If it wasn't for DOSBOX, we wouldn't be able to play thousands of great old PC games!

I also use emulation for video capture footage when no other option is available to me, or it gives me the best picture quality. Case in point: the old RF connector on the original Atari 2600 or Colecovision. Emulation allows me to capture footage way better than pointing the camera at the TV.

However, that said, there is nothing like playing the real thing with the original console & controller. Again, case in point: H.E.R.O. and Frogs & Flies on the 2600. These two games are almost unplayable on anything other than the actual stiff 2600 joystick! Playing them with thumbsticks on a modern controller doesn't work right at all.

Retro Gaming with a Heavy Metal Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/MetalJesusRocks

Richard
on: November 27, 2012, 19:07

It is always better to play it on the original hardware, but if that is not an option then emulation is FINE! If the game isn't being sold by any publisher and hasn't been re-released in some online store, then why would it even be an issue?

If the developers aren't losing money, then there is no issue at all. For example, most people can't afford to or are willing to pay a hundred+ dollars for a loose earthbound cart. Should these people be punished and never get the opportunity to play the game?

Emulation is great for gaming. It gives the masses the opportunity to play amazing games of the past and appreciate them. Certain people need to get off their high horses and stop being jealous of the fact, that people can emulate their super expensive game they bought.

You can't replace a physical copy or the original hardware. It is a win win situation for everyone.

BTW if emulation didn't exist retro games would cost way more than they do even with today's prices. Not to mention games that are being translated to this day, that can only be played through emulation. Not every game gets a reproduction cart and those are very expensive.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: November 27, 2012, 20:28

This is hard one for me. Personally, I only download ROMs that are either games I already own physical copies of, or are games that are original creations, fan-made mods, or were never actually released (such as the Star Fox 2 demo). It's a moral decision for me. I just don't want to steal anything.

But then there are the cases like Earthbound, as was mentioned. You could have purchased the game brand-new for $60, and now people are paying $200 for it which is over triple the original BRAND NEW price, for a USED copy! That is grossly overpriced and to the point of ridiculous. It's like sneaking in snacks to the movies. The food is so overpriced that you know it's the theater ripping YOU off in an immoral way.

InnovaX5
Advanced
on: November 27, 2012, 22:05

Ah, the gray area of gaming. I've never really minded them honestly. They've kept new generations fed with games they other wise would have never experienced and given people in areas where they simply don't have access to the games access.

Personally, I like having physical cartridges and disks of the games. However, I can't go out and buy Earthbound (Mother 1) for NES with English text, my only option is a ROM of it or a Cart that's had the ROM written to it sold by a person who has no copy rights or licensing to sell it. Or I could spend half my life and a car payment finding a prototype cart.

This being said I'm a HUGE fan of the Everdrive products. I enjoy their convenience of having all my games on one cartridge. It makes life really easy to just grab my console and the everdrive and go off to a party with. Not to mention the Everdrives themselves are normally major conversation pieces by just taking them out.

I've never used any ROMs past the N64 age though and the N64 was long discontinued then. I just never felt right running ROM'ed files of non-cartridge based systems for some reason.

rampage
on: December 11, 2012, 15:06

I love to play the games on the real thing, but emuletor help me to play some games i could not get before, now is posible to play the Roms on the real system with the Everdriver , but is real expensive to get one of them, at least for my that I live in El Salvador, Central America, I will love to get one sega genesis Ever Drive. it will be ezer to me to play genesis game that I did not get, since here all ppl loved Nintendo and sega was not popular here

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: December 12, 2012, 14:04

Quote from rampage on December 11, 2012, 15:06
I love to play the games on the real thing, but emuletor help me to play some games i could not get before, now is posible to play the Roms on the real system with the Everdriver , but is real expensive to get one of them, at least for my that I live in El Salvador, Central America, I will love to get one sega genesis Ever Drive. it will be ezer to me to play genesis game that I did not get, since here all ppl loved Nintendo and sega was not popular here

I think the everdrive is pretty much the same price everywhere as long as you're getting it from stoneagegamer. It's no surprise they're so pricey, the guy makes each one by hand!

Clecio
Advanced
on: December 12, 2012, 17:35

Quote from rampage on December 11, 2012, 15:06

Im brazilian and if could I would tell you to do some research about Dingoo (A320 or A330).

Since I started collecting videogames I lost my interest on emulators. First, because Im not a computer gamer (although there's some consoles which can emulate very well). Second I dont want to have a huge collection of games, but those I like, so its not important to me to know every game of every console. On the other hand I use emulators to play arcades, specially M.A.M.E., with the games that marked me as a kid. Most until 1983. Also, I love the CPS machine. I really enjoy Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Punisher, Final Fight.

I'm not a lawyer and I really not interested if that is right or wrong. Emulate games older than 30 years? They're not for sale anymore. I see no problem. If a console still aclive, yeah I think its not the best thing to emulate its games.

thekyle043-
on: May 14, 2013, 15:05

I think emulators are pretty cool, but it has nothing on playing the game how it was intended to be played. Recently I downloaded Pokemon blue on my phone, and it has certainly revived my interest in Pokemon. One thing I didn't like about it though is how it lets you alter the game in a way. It lets you speed up the game to travel and do everything faster. I tried it and now when I play at normal speed it feels WAY too slow.I have to set it at half speed now, just to reverse what I did, lol. So they are convenient, but if it comes down to it, I would much rather be playing the game normally!

MoonJump
on: May 19, 2013, 18:28

For me it's a good way to try out a game before you take the plunge to buy it or a way to play a game that might be rare and out of my price zone. I'm a huge fan of the Sailor Moon series and even though the games aren't the best I own a number of the cheaper titles on home consoles. I heard about that there was an arcade game and I tried it and thought it was one of the worst games I ever played in my life. I'm glad I played it first because I had a chance to buy the board of the game and smartly passed on it.

Other then that, I'd much rather play the real thing on the actual system. Even "official" emulation like virtual console on the Wii/Wii-U I'd rather play it on the original system with the original controllers.

http://www.arcade-hunters.com/

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.395 seconds.