Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: is my GameGear Broken
Danny7305
Post is my GameGear Broken
on: December 10, 2012, 13:35

i bought a gamegear today from a pawnshop for £7

ive never had one before but i'm aware of the sound and screen issues

it didnt come with a power lead but i put batteries in it to test it

... the sound doesnt work, i decided it didnt matter too much to me

the screen seems wrong to me, i dont know what the screen issue is that gamegears get... but my issue is i cant play the gamegear with it directly facing me it has to be on a bad angle

some pictures below

so this is directly facing the camera

and this is the angle

another example

is it broken? how do i fix? is it easy to fix?

not sure if i would take it back or not... it was pretty cheap and it has both of the battery covers

InnovaX5
Advanced
Post Re: is my GameGear Broken
on: December 10, 2012, 13:55

Game Gear did not age well over the years. Sound caps were one of the main things to go in them. Often the screens need to be completely replaced as well. Time was not kind to these old handhelds simply from technology being primitive compared to today's handhelds. Totally refurbished gamegears go anywhere for $55 to $150 on ebay depending on the sellers.

As for being an easy fix, I don't know. I'm sure if you have any knowledge of electronics it could be. There are Cap and screen replacement kits for sale on ebay. A lot of refurbished game gears pop up on ebay and many of them work better now than they did new depending on the sellers. I only know how to fix people (medical student) not machines - so its all Greek to me 🙂

Clecio
Advanced
on: December 10, 2012, 21:58

Yes it looks broken. The screen is not good as maybe you can expect, but you should see the image facing front. These problems are very common. You can buy a good working and in good shape Black GG for US$40 on the web. I bought one and it is ok.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: December 10, 2012, 22:20

Just a shot in the dark here, but did you try the contrast knob on the side of the handheld?

Danny7305
on: December 11, 2012, 05:53

oh wow i totally missed that knob thanks

i still cant use it facing me directly

but its i can play it fine tilted back alittle

is that the way it should be?

Clecio
Advanced
on: December 11, 2012, 08:16

No. You should be able to play it facing front.

InnovaX5
Advanced
on: December 11, 2012, 11:48

No, sounds like the screen is starting to also go in it. You will get a few more years out of it depending on how much you play it before it really goes. Like I said they really weren't built to stand against time. Was just the current technology for such a beautiful color back lite handheld.

Outlaw
Beginner
on: December 11, 2012, 14:54

One I own has a similar problem, and if you want to fix it then it does require some soldering skills and a capacitor kit.

Back when the game gear was being produced a industry wide of bad capacitors got out into the wild and sadly the Game Gear was built using them.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: December 11, 2012, 17:56

Game Gears are pretty hit and miss at this point. The speakers on mine no longer work, but the headphone jack works fine. So I just plug some computer speakers into it when I play it at home.

Danny7305
on: December 12, 2012, 03:18

ok thanks for all the help guys

i think its good enough to use for now
gunna keep hold of it

maybe i will try and fix it one day

Pages: [1] 2
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.361 seconds.