Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should Sony retire the Dualshock design for the PS4?
Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
Post Should Sony retire the Dualshock design for the PS4?
on: February 15, 2013, 07:33

I have not been a fan of the DS3. I think the d-pad is great for fighting and 2D platformers but I found the triggers awkward for FPS and racing games. So I welcome a change. Maybe backward compatiblity for those who love the DS3? A la Gamecube controllers for the Wii. A little more work for the developers but it'll make a lot of gamers happy.

What do you guys think?

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

wildbird51-
Pro
Post Re: Should Sony retire the Dualshock design for the PS4?
on: February 15, 2013, 07:41

I got used to it. The best controller I ever had was the Dreamcast flying saucer, but then the PS2 controller grown on me and I just rolled with it. I hate changes.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: February 15, 2013, 07:53

Quote from wildbird5150 on February 15, 2013, 07:41
I got used to it. The best controller I ever had was the Dreamcast flying saucer, but then the PS2 controller grown on me and I just rolled with it. I hate changes.

Interesting... I'd think you'd like the Xbox design more since Microsoft stole a lot from Dreamcast's. D-pad/Analog stick placement on the left, analog triggers, reverse labeling of the SNES face buttons, Memory card slots.

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

wildbird51-
Pro
on: February 15, 2013, 10:17

Quote from Buried On Mars on February 15, 2013, 07:53

Quote from wildbird5150 on February 15, 2013, 07:41

Interesting... I'd think you'd like the Xbox design more since Microsoft stole a lot from Dreamcast's. D-pad/Analog stick placement on the left, analog triggers, reverse labeling of the SNES face buttons, Memory card slots.

I don't like how the analog sticks are placed on the Xbox controller, but yeah, Xbox is a Dreamcast successor. As far as I know Sega had something to do with it, maybe Gamester81 knows the specifics.

MetalJesus-
Rocks
Administrator
on: February 15, 2013, 15:54

What about just making the Vita a real PS4 controller? That would be a great way of sneaking their handheld into millions of homes...

Retro Gaming with a Heavy Metal Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/MetalJesusRocks

wildbird51-
Pro
on: February 15, 2013, 17:49

Quote from MetalJesusRocks on February 15, 2013, 15:54
What about just making the Vita a real PS4 controller? That would be a great way of sneaking their handheld into millions of homes...

I hate this thing, seriously! 😀

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: February 16, 2013, 07:02

Quote from MetalJesusRocks on February 15, 2013, 15:54

I can see that working for some games as an optional controller. You'd be sacrificing a lot of precision with those small analog sticks and there is only one set of digital triggers. So I doubt it would become the better way to play FPSs or any action game. But it would be an nice option for inventory management or referring to maps in some RPGs. It could the PlayStation brand more RTS friendly too. The touchscreen could become a awesome customizable interface for those kind of games.

Kyle325
Advanced
on: May 22, 2013, 03:36

I have a lot of respect for that controller, its been with us practically since the Playstation launch, (minus the thumbsticks witch came just a couple years later)But I think its just a great, simple design, especially the D.S.3 with the triggers, and the Home button. However, i alwayw loved the feel of the 360 controller a tad more, so im glad the d.s.4 is going a little more that route and with a mini touch pad that I feel is more practical than the wii-u gamepad.

"work is for people who can't play videogames" --Billy Mitchell
'GameTime' hosted by Kyle-- http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMETIMEwithKyle

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.3 seconds.