Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nintendo Should Consider New Console, Rather than Wii U - Report
PGen98
Advanced
Post Nintendo Should Consider New Console, Rather than Wii U - Report
on: August 19, 2013, 16:21

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23514789

According to one games editor at IGN, if sales don't pick up for the Wii U, it would end up being a more prudent move for Nintendo to consider launching a new console rather than trying to continue beating the Wii U to death. Something I consider quite shocking, since a lot of the better titles are only now starting to trickle out. Granted, he did say "if sales don't pick up over the next 6 months," which is understandable. 160,000 Wii U consoles were sold over this past quarter, which is dismal, especially with Nintendo expecting to sell 9 Million total units by March, 2014 (3.61 Million sold by quarter ending July, 2013).

Would you agree with this? Is it smarter for them to look at pushing a new product rather than trying to turn the Wii U around? Personally, I'm a fan of the Wii U and have plans to pick one up in the near future, but I do see the logic behind what he's saying from an outside perspective. It does become like beating a dead horse at some point. The problem is, I feel as though it would be prudent to wait until the bigger titles hit to make claims like that, since there is so much that can change following a major release. There is no question that the momentum needs to change, but I think making a claim like that is so broad at this point in time is just ridiculous.

Would you back this? Should Nintendo be moving on already?

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
Post Re: Nintendo Should Consider New Console, Rather than Wii U - Report
on: August 20, 2013, 12:48

Sounds like it's a slow news day at IGN. Rockstar should release another GTA V trailer to keep them busy. 🙂

IF sales don't pick up, then yes Nintendo will have to drop the Wii U. The console is only 9 months old so it is early to call it failure, but I think it will be if Nintendo doesn't start doing the smart things it did to turn the 3DS into a money maker.

The 3DS was only 6 months old before Nintendo slashed its price by $50. Then 2-3 months after that they released some big, must have exclusive games like SM3DL and MK7. The thing sold well, and that made 3rd party development happen. Now it prints money and spawns worth while games monthly.

So far, Big N has been adamant about not dropping the Wii U's price so all we have is new, good games to try to sell it. The thing is, I don't see that happening for a while. Not this Christmas anyway. A Windwaker remake and a sequel to DKC to lead the way? Sure to be good games, but not system sellers.

Fortunately for Nintendo, they do have a lot of cash and can afford to dig in their heals a bit. They can wait for Smash Bros and MK8 to come out next year and see if they will sell the system. But if they are only sitting at 4-5 million consoles sold by next March and still don't have 3rd parties stirring to make games for it, then the Wii U might be dead.

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

PGen98
Advanced
on: August 21, 2013, 22:44

Isn't it always a slow news day at IGN? 😀

The 3DS is precisely why it seems stupid to be reading these reports this quickly. Everyone was really down on the 3DS, lamenting the slow sales and the lack of big-name titles and real 3rd-party support; however, it only took the release of two or three key first party games, and all of a sudden the 3DS was a completely viable system. Now you're absolutely right, it seems as though there are numerous big games releasing each month for the 3DS, and that's what I would expect with the Wii U. Nintendo need to release one or two solid first party titles, which are coming, and then the third party developers will adopt it like they did with the Wii U, and then it'll be off and running.

I'm still a fan of the Wii U on the whole, so I'm hoping Nintendo can work their magic again. They'll no doubt benefit somewhat from the holiday clamour for next-gen consoles and the inevitable Sony and Microsoft sold-out and general pricing dilemmas for families looking for presents; however, there's no question that they will need to up their game if they're going to gain momentum from that.

Then again, maybe we're wrong here. Maybe Nintendo have lost the momentum and this really is the end, IGN just have that inside information that we all lack :D.

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: August 23, 2013, 13:47

Well, I hope IGN is wrong. I think Nintendo is an inventive company that gets the other guys thinking. Love it or hate it, we wouldn't have the PS Move or Kinect without the Wii. And the Smartglass/Vita tie ins to the new machines are a response to the Wii U. The benefit of all systems doing well is better games.

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: August 29, 2013, 11:54

Looks like Nintendo is doing the right thing and reducing the Wii U's price.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/wii-u-price-drop-confirmed

PGen98
Advanced
on: August 30, 2013, 07:58

That's a smart move! Should help to shift a few units.

(Also good news for me, looking forward to picking on up soon enough :D)

Kyle325
Advanced
on: August 30, 2013, 19:45

A price drop will help especially before the holidays coming plus, plus with the knowledge that we are within a year (hopefully) will be playing Smash Bros 4, and new Mario Kart. Hopefully we can get a classic style Metroid game on the WiiU as well. I might have to get a system itself before the holidays...

"work is for people who can't play videogames" --Billy Mitchell
'GameTime' hosted by Kyle-- http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMETIMEwithKyle

wildbird51-
Pro
on: September 5, 2013, 10:10

I don't know, my office needed a console, so I picked up a regular Wii. Not a smart move, some would say, but hell, I like Wii, the games are great. Wii U was a big disappointment for me

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.353 seconds.