Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So...what does Nintendo do?
PGen98
Advanced
Post So...what does Nintendo do?
on: January 19, 2014, 19:30

We all know the news from Nintendo, and it's not good. The Wii U is indeed the flop everyone feared, and even with the 3DS selling well, Nintendo is in deep trouble. Personally, I love the Wii U. It's a great console with some great games starting to roll out, and I actually love the gamepad. Granted, I'm also one of the people who loves the Saturn, which had the same issues we're seeing with Nintendo now (limited third party support, lukewarm reaction, EA dipping their toes in then pulling straight back out), so perhaps I'm not the ideal judge of what should be a popular console.

So what should Nintendo do at this point?

-Work on a new console -- Discussed in the past, and I still feel that's the wrong way to go. The Wii U has some life in it, it just needs one or two big games that will sell some consoles. Perhaps start shipping some bundles with the Pro controller if people are so set against the Gamepad idea, or (at last) start bridging the gap with the 3DS and develop a way to play 3DS games on the big screen through the Gamepad.

-Get 3rd Party Exclusives -- It's just not happening, I know that, but if they could somehow get a proper exclusive from a 3rd party, enticing enough to draw in some people or at least get something exclusive from a multi-platform release that would be worth picking up the console then there's a chance for Nintendo. This isn't likely to happen, since the only 3rd party that seems to want to work with them is Ubisoft, who are having their own issues. Still, it would be nice if they could get some 3rd party support.

-Temporarily develop games for the Xbox One and PS4 -- An idea proposed by someone, whose name or company escapes me at this moment, that might actually attract some support from the gaming world. Could you imagine a new Metroid on the Xbox One and PS4? What if the next SSB was multi-platform? What about a brand new IP or two? The possibilities are quite endless, though highly unlikely.

-Finally start pushing online capabilities -- Something Nintendo seems reticent to approach in any way, but something they desperately need to embrace. Online capabilities in games is an essential now. It just is. Nintendo need to embrace this properly and start pushing online co-op and versus modes as hard as possible. Picture Super Mario 3D World with online co-op, or the next SSB on the 3DS or Wii U against people online. What about having the Wind Waker HD with a buddy online? An enticing thought, but something Nintendo need to push hard for, now, if they're going to make any headway.

-Stick to handheld consoles -- A not-so-viable alternative, all things considered, but something they have undisputed success with. The handhold market is synonymous with Nintendo (BTW, Nintendo -- Definitely snap up that GameBoy Evolution concept, that is unbelievable!), and while the 3DS got off to a rocky start, it is a powerhouse now. They could drop the home console line and focus just on handhelds, but they could stand to loose a tremendous amount of money by doing that.

-Something else -- I'm sure we're all ears, so let's hear some ideas!

What is the best way forward for Nintendo, or is there a way forward for the beleaguered company? What are your thoughts on Nintendo and the Wii U?

...or is this the perfect time for Sega to step back into the console game and turn a few heads? 😀

Kyle325
Advanced
Post Re: So...what does Nintendo do?
on: January 20, 2014, 04:29

Its pretty easy to say Keep Calm and Carry On at this point, but nintendo -does- have some great games this year, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8 and that new Donkey Kong Country game for example, and we know its a matter of time before a brand brand new Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemin come out of it.
But heres my other thought.. Nintendo is competing with themselves! There are soooo many great, awesome games for the 3ds, and it drove me nuts before I picked up a 2ds that these games are out on it, and not the wii and now the Wii U! Im sure Wii U owners would kove to play Kid Icarus, or Pokemon, Yoshi's Island, or Luigi's Mansion 2....and to some extent those mario tennis, golf, and party games.
I know the 3ds needs good exclusives as well, but the WiiU cant be an after thought at this point.....

"work is for people who can't play videogames" --Billy Mitchell
'GameTime' hosted by Kyle-- http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMETIMEwithKyle

wildbird51-
Pro
on: January 23, 2014, 10:54

Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania and Final Fantasy -- SOLD! I'd buy a Wii U again just to play these games, I'm serious. Oh, Last Story 2 is most welcome.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

PGen98
Advanced
on: January 25, 2014, 19:18

Ooooh, yeah, a new real Castlevania game would be great.

gamester81
Administrator
on: January 29, 2014, 22:25

Hey Guys, here are my 5 reasons why Nintendo isn't doing very well right now. http://dev2017.gamester81.com/nintendo-is-hurtin-for-certain-five-reasons-why/

PGen98
Advanced
on: February 5, 2014, 22:40

Valid points in that article, but after watching Buried on Mars' videos about the Wii U, I have to say I'm with him on a lot of his ideas. There is plenty that could be done to save the Wii U, but it all has to happen now if it's going to make any difference, and it definitely has to focus around online play.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.245 seconds.