Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Astros hire Alex Cora as new bench coach
deberry
Post Astros hire Alex Cora as new bench coach
on: March 20, 2018, 18:32

A.J. Hinch has a new right-hand man in the Astros' dugout.The Astros on Tuesday hired former major leaguer Alex Cora to fill their bench coach vacancy created by the recent departure of Trey Hillman. Cora has never before coached in the majors or minors but many around the game believe the 41-year-old has the makings of a future major league manager.A bilingual native of Puerto Rico, Cora joins the Astros from ESPN, where he spent the last four seasons as an analyst. He has formally interviewed for a managerial opening in each of the last three offseasons, most recently for the Arizona Diamondbacks job that recently went to Torey Lovullo. "I think he brings a lot (to the staff)," Hinch said of Cora, who played parts of 14 seasons in the major leagues. "He's very talented. He's been around the game his whole life. He brings a lot of credibility, a lot of big ideas, a great presence and just a baseball acumen that's necessary to be on a major league staff and impact players." Cora, a left-handed hitting utility infielder for most of his big league tenure, last played in the spring of 2012. He spent seven seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers and four with the Boston Red Sox, with whom he was part of the World Series championship team in 2007 Jake Lamb Replica Jersey."I feel that we can accomplish a lot of big things. That's one of the reasons I'm here," Cora said. "I always said that if I get back onto the field, it has to be an impactful job and something that will challenge me. This is a challenging job, and I feel that we have a real good chance to win it all." Cora's presence should be especially valuable for the Astros' Latin American players. He already has a relationship with countryman Carlos Correa, the Astros' 22-year-old star shortstop, whom he worked with last offseason and kept in touch with over the last year. "He's going to blend seamlessly into what we're about and impact an entire roster of players," Hinch said of Cora. "He's going to be a great influence on Carlos or Jose (Altuve) or any of the Latin American players but equally as important he's going to be great for George Springer and Dallas Keuchel and Lance McCullers and others."That's why he's a perfect fit as a bench coach. He can influence and impact everything that we do."Cora was never a teammate of Hinch's but the two former players know each other well through the game https://www.diamondbacksstore.com/Randall_Delgado_Youth_Jersey-264. Their relationship has grown since their playing days ended, and Hinch has flirted with hiring Cora in different capacities in the past.When Hinch was an assistant general manager for the San Diego Padres, he scouted Correa in a pre-draft showcase in Puerto Rico. Cora, the general manger for his hometown's winter ball team Jake Lamb Gray/Turquoise Jersey, Criollos de Caguas, was also there. Together, they watched Correa hit two home runs in a game. Hinch picked up his phone and dialed the Padres' traveling secretary."What are you doing," Cora asked."Well, Alex, we've got the seventh pick," Hinch said, according to Cora. "No chance this kid is going to last that long, so I'm flying out tonight."They stayed in touch in the years since."It's something that kind of actually happened organically and I'm glad that he trusted me," Cora said of Hinch. "He called me a few years ago and he asked me how I felt about getting on the field (as a coach). At that time I wasn't ready. Now it's a little bit different. I am ready. I want to get back on the field and contribute."Cora is the GM of Puerto Rico's World Baseball Classic team, for which Correa plans to play and Springer might, but his duties won't necessarily take him away from his first spring training with the Astros. Perhaps it will if Team Puerto Rico advances to the second round in San Diego or the semifinals in Los Angeles, but ultimately Cora's work in that role will be mostly done by spring training."My full commitment is with the Houston Astros, and I have a lot of learning to do," he said. "I have a lot of stuff that I have to digest."The Astros lost Hillman three weeks ago to a managerial job with South Korean team SK Wyverns. Hinch declined to disclose how many were interviewed for the position, revealing only that there were "a handful of internal and external" candidates https://www.diamondbacksstore.com/Reymond_Fuentes_Black_Jersey-314.In the end, the Astros tabbed Cora, who if the team is successful will probably once again garner consideration for a managerial job elsewhere next winter."You can see the talent," Cora said of the Astros. "A lot of athletic players that can change games. I think a lot of people in the business understand that this team, it's not only good for next year but it's going to be good for the next few years. It's exciting. Who wouldn't want to be part of an exciting team that has a shot to win it?"

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.104 seconds.