Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you guys consider "retro gaming"?
gamester81
Administrator
Post What do you guys consider "retro gaming"?
on: August 4, 2014, 19:43

Hey Guys,

I'm curious what you guys consider "retro gaming"? Here is what I think it means to me:

wildbird51-
Pro
Post Re: What do you guys consider "retro gaming"?
on: August 5, 2014, 12:39

I look at games from a technical point of view. If the system is no longer supported by the manufacturer and it's not on the shelves, then it's retro. PS2 is still sitting on the shelves and Sony stopped manufacturing it almost a year ago, but there are tons of games on the shelves in every store I can walk in to, same goes for PSP, they still manufacture and sell it officially. To me, retro starts with pong and ends on the systems like Xbox, yes, Xbox is quite modern, but you won't find a new console in BestBuy, MediaMarkt or Auchan. I wonder what you guys think on my theory. 

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

Kyle325
Advanced
on: August 20, 2014, 20:09

Right now, for me, its any games on a cartridge actually.
So, thatd be the N64 on down. And in terms of mobile and handheld, looking at the best of what you can get on smartphones and tablets, id throw in Game Boy Advance games on down as well..

"work is for people who can't play videogames" --Billy Mitchell
'GameTime' hosted by Kyle-- http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMETIMEwithKyle

PGen98
Advanced
on: September 1, 2014, 10:44

Quote from wildbird5150 on August 5, 2014, 12:39
I look at games from a technical point of view. If the system is no longer supported by the manufacturer and it's not on the shelves, then it's retro. PS2 is still sitting on the shelves and Sony stopped manufacturing it almost a year ago, but there are tons of games on the shelves in every store I can walk in to, same goes for PSP, they still manufacture and sell it officially. To me, retro starts with pong and ends on the systems like Xbox, yes, Xbox is quite modern, but you won't find a new console in BestBuy, MediaMarkt or Auchan. I wonder what you guys think on my theory. 

This is the logic I subscribe to, as well. Once it hits the stage where games aren't readily available anymore, then I count it as being "retro." Though, like most, I often don't refer to the more modern retro systems as being retro. Contradictory, I know, but the mainstream ideal of retro usually revolves around SNES/Genesis and back, while the modern retro equivalents (PS1/N64/Saturn -> Xbox/GameCube) are simply "old." So, in my mind retro is a two-sided thing: Modern retro and Retro. Strange, but there it is.

WillOhio
on: September 26, 2014, 12:22

Thinking about it I'd call everything pre-N64 Retro gaming. That is to say that the older style games (mostly, but not elusively non 3d) are what I am more inclined to think of when I say Retrogaming.

And it is only really now or the last 2 years that I'd consider N64/PS1/Saturn to be retro. These systems still had games designed for them in the old design paradigm. On the later systems, up to the most current modern systems, when a new game appears, and it's got a lot of elements from this previous design style it is most often labeled "Retro, 8 bit or Old school".

You could probably also say, pre mid-80's, old school/retorgaming was all about the innovations being made around game play. The Theme usually came after the hardware/programming design innovation. And the story was usually tacked on. (Of course there are exceptions, Donkey Kong for instance. One of the few games of that era with a real story that progressed during gameplay. You could, to a certain extent, say the same about Pacman with it's cut scenes).

~Will

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.221 seconds.