Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What System should I collect for?
wildbird51-
Pro
Post Re: What System should I collect for?
on: October 28, 2012, 23:11

Quote from FirehouseGames on October 28, 2012, 19:09

Have you been looking lately? Saturn games (even U.S. ones) have been steadily climbing in price in the last couple of years.

Unless we talking the most common or crappy games, the average price of these games usually don't fall under $20. Which may not be a lot to you, but in comparison to other retro-consoles such as NES, Genesis, 2600, or Dreamcast; they are pretty pricey when they range from $20-$40 on average vs. the $5-$25 average on those other systems.

For someone just starting out, I wouldn't start them on a system that's relatively expensive to collect for.

I'd suggest something like the NES, Sega Genesis, or PS2. They all have very large and accessible libraries and there are a lot of great and cheap games out there to find for those systems.

Like I said the Saturn is not to start out with since the cheap games are often the bad ones (not always the case). The US versions of games seems to be the cheapest and the US Saturn Library is the weakest unfortunately. Also the American Cases brake very easily. To collect for the saturn you have to do research and know what you're doing.

The Master System is great to begin with and so is the Genesis since you get a lot...alot! of bang for your buck!

Stay away from nintendo if you have a limited budget...Nintendo collectors these days seem to have very deep pockets 🙂

Oh yeah, those huge cases from Sega CD era, I hate em with all the passion of my heart. I have a few Japanese games, that came with these cases, not a big deal, until you break one.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

Adam_Copel-
and
on: October 29, 2012, 09:58

If you are really low on money I think the best and cheapest way to collect is for the NES. Hundreds of great games and very very cheap to collect.

starseed19-
on: October 29, 2012, 13:57

Considering Financial limitations I'd suggest going for lots of NES or PS2 on Ebay. That really jump started my collection.

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: October 29, 2012, 16:13

Quote from FirehouseGames on October 28, 2012, 07:44
Well Like wildbird51-50 said DC and SS are awesome systems but if you have a limited budget and still want to able to buy the games you want I would recommend the SEGA Genesis (Mega Drive) since it's very cheap to collect for and there are a ton of games for it.

PS1 is also dirt cheap to collect for.

I agree with you about Nintendo consoles. They have great games but can get pricey. Even the GameCube is up there when compared to PS2, Xbox and dreamcast games.

Anyway, I suggest the PS2. Normally I'd suggest the PS1 but I'm not gonna let my nostalgia get in the way on this one since the PS2 is the better console. The PS2 is very cheap to collect for, even the goods games are reasonable and boy are there allot of good games! Since you're an RPG lover, you can't get a much better console than the PS2 except perhaps the SNES depending on who you're asking. Also since the PS2 is backwards compatible, you have an absolutely massive library of games to choose from. With the PS2 you can build up a respectable collection in short time and with little money. I'd recommend you save your money and come your birthday after you've gotten all your birthday money together, go on eBay and buy one big lot of games for whatever console you choose. This would be a great kickstarter to your collection.

Adam_Copel-
and
on: November 1, 2012, 04:46

I think PS2 games are more expensive then NES or even Mega Drive games. At least here in germany so I think NES and Mega Drive are the best start to collect if you are low on money. Normal price for a PS2 game here is around $15. A good NES game is easily 1 to 5 bucks

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: November 1, 2012, 15:26

Really? Over here you can normally get ps2 games for $5 and under.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: November 1, 2012, 15:58

Quote from LuzZelenia on November 1, 2012, 15:26

Just a couple weeks ago I walked out of GameStop with 5 PS2 games that totalled $1.07 out the door, and not one of them were sports games (however a couple were racing games).

GameStop is practically giving them away in the U.S.

PGen98
Advanced
on: November 1, 2012, 16:58

Geez, I need to keep that in mind! I've been thinking of snapping up some PS2 games to expand my collection. If they're still around, I'll definitely be on the lookout for them when I'm there on Nov 6th :D.

Richard
on: November 1, 2012, 22:36

Choose a system with the most games you enjoy. $50 a week is a nice budget at your age, but make sure to look into the a system and its game prices before you choose that one. I would stay away from the Saturn if I were you. It has some great gems, but it is an extremely expensive system to collector for and it wouldn't fit your budget range.

I would say last generation consoles are your best bet because the prices on the games are low, but there is a lot of great stuff to buy. Also, buying now when everything is cheap is great because they will go up in value.

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: November 1, 2012, 23:22

Quote from BurningDoom on November 1, 2012, 15:58

Quote from LuzZelenia on November 1, 2012, 15:26

Just a couple weeks ago I walked out of GameStop with 5 PS2 games that totalled $1.07 out the door, and not one of them were sports games (however a couple were racing games).

GameStop is practically giving them away in the U.S.

I'll keep that in mind. I hardly ever go to GameStop but if they're selling ps2 games cheap that definitely gives me a reason to go. I remember the last time I went they were selling kingdom hearts for $20 and I got discouraged and stopped looking, that was way back in April though, maybe prices have lowered since then since the next generation of consoles are getting closer and closer.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.39 seconds.