Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Surprisingly good GC games
greggraffi-
n
Post Surprisingly good GC games
on: November 2, 2012, 03:34

I got my GameCube late in the game, and as a result, I enjoyed ridiculously discounted game prices. That, of course, led to me buying up many games. At last count, I have 124 GC games. Some are classics that everyone has played, some are total crap, and honestly, there are a few that I haven't even played for more than a few minutes. But I wanted to make a topic on GC games that I found to be surprisingly fun. Whether it was other gamers bashing these titles, the corny premises, or just the titles being lesser known, I had lowered expectations going in, and these titles proved to all be very enjoyable gaming experiences. What titles would you include in your list?

(in no particular order)

-Taz: Wanted- big, colorful levels that are a blast to rampage through, plenty of objectives to give the game lots of variety, and it got surprisingly challenging as the game progressed. I'm guessing most wrote this one off because it's a kid's game, but it's definitely worth a play.

-A Series of Unfortunate Events- maybe this one is just because I love the movie and books, but this again was a surprisingly good kid's game. It's very linear and simple in its gameplay, but I found it to be very creative and fun. Given that you can find copies for 3 bucks, it's worth trying if you liked the movie/books.

-Star Fox Adventures- I'm not sure what the general consensus on this game is, but I remember hearing people whine and moan when it came out because it was not the sequel to Star Fox 64 they had expected. So, this is one that I went in with lowered expectations, and in general the critics were right, this wasn't a traditional Star Fox game. I felt that it played like a simplified Zelda, and offered up some solid gameplay and variety, and judging it as a game in and of itself, and not as a 'Starfox game,' this is a pretty good title.

-Batman Begins- not a perfect game, but fun for what it is, a stealth-based linear almost-puzzle-like beat em up. I do recall it being somewhat short and easy, though.

-Def Jam: Fight for NY- Now here's one that blew me away. Not only is it not a total piece of crap, as one might guess given the name and premise (essentially, a bunch of rappers playing different characters for some reason fighting in pits for some reason), but it actually plays very well. For fans of WWF No Mercy on N64 (and really, who isn't?), this game plays very similar. Now, I should note that I've played through a bit of the story mode, which gets boring pretty quickly. But the real value of this game is in the multi-player. That, and choosing Redman so you can hear him say, "I'ma take your tongue, and lick my ass with it!"

-Monsters Inc.: Scream Arena- a primarily multi-player dodgeball game, this one is loads of fun. I used to work with kids, and this is one that they enjoyed a lot. Very simple controls as well as some room to develop some skill at the game, it makes for a good, quick game for kids and adults alike. Though, I should mention the major drawback on this one is the pretty mediocre graphics.

-Tarzan Untamed- Again, not a good game, per se, but a game that is good for what it is. It's a very linear, fast-paced memory game that is loads of fun as well as visually appealing.

-Mario Sunshine/Luigi's Mansion- I'm lumping these together because they both seemed to be panned by critics initially, although they do seem to have gained some appreciation since. Mario Sunshine can get a bit difficult and frustrating for a Mario game (I'm having flashbacks of pushing a watermelon down a hill!), and Luigi's Mansion really isn't the kids game that I think people assumed it would be (not because it's too scary, but more just because of the difficulty level and nontraditional gameplay), but both are very enjoyable for us older folks.

That's my list, agree? Disagree? Have any titles you'd like to add?

starseed19-
Post Re: Surprisingly good GC games
on: November 3, 2012, 05:45

I picked up Viewtiful Joe and Beyond Good And Evil straight out of the discount bin years after their original release. Both of them blew me away and are really some of the best on the console IMHO.

MetalJesus-
Rocks
Administrator
on: November 6, 2012, 09:12

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat deserves to be on this list. The idea of playing a platforming game with plastic bongos just sounds...dumb. But the game is surprisingly fun and well made!

Also... there have been a lot of the Paper Mario games, but I think Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is my favorite!

Retro Gaming with a Heavy Metal Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/MetalJesusRocks

SilverMong-
oose
on: January 10, 2013, 11:01

I've been really meaning to get into Thousand Year Door. Paper Mario is easily one of my favourite games ever but my file for TYD got deleted back in the day when I was about 1/4 through the game. I really didn't feel like getting back into it at the moment.
Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, and Starfox Adventures are all good games and are only hated because people hate what is different. I might even like Sunshine more than 64 actually. Though they don't get a lot of love these days, I recommend any shooter fans to check out Timesplitters 2 and 3 (though it is on other systems as well)

albirhiza
Beginner
on: May 23, 2013, 10:11

Quote from SilverMongoose on January 10, 2013, 11:01
I recommend any shooter fans to check out Timesplitters 2 and 3 (though it is on other systems as well)

Can't recommend Timesplitters 2 enough. I played soo much of that on my GC. Puyo Pop Fever is a fun puzzle game. And for some reason I really enjoyed the Hobbit game.

sidewinder-
l
on: May 30, 2013, 14:13

Pac-Man World Rally

Reviews for this game are awful, so ignore them. If you like kart racers, you'll like this one. I didn't even have it on my big list of GC games to get last weekend (a lot of people overlook it apparently), but when I saw it, the little Metal Jesus on my shoulder told me to buy it. Out of all the games I got, guess what I've been playing the most...

It's a shameless Mario Kart clone right down to the green/red/blue "shells", but that's not a bad thing. It's actually a very nice alternative. It plays well and has some really good looking courses. It even has a Katamari course. Unfortunately it's an obviously half-assed course (serves as this game's Baby Park of sorts), but it's nice to be able to play as the prince and hear the Katamari theme on the GC.

It's a bit on the easy side in single-player, but the hardest setting does add a bit of challenge and causes the AI to use shortcuts. I haven't had the chance to put it through its 4 player paces, though.

Kyle325
Advanced
on: May 30, 2013, 22:15

Actually I second both TimeSplitters and the Pac-Man World Rally. -have all 3 of those for the Gamecube-
TS2&3 are best when customizing your own gamemodes and maps, and the massive list of goofy characters is something we just dont see in 'Current' gaming.
And fans of pac-man as well as Mario Kart will like World Rally. Again, nothing too special, but it is a creative and very colorful kart racing game, annnnd a pretty addictive battle mode. (i actually liked it enough, I bought it on the PSP as well)

"work is for people who can't play videogames" --Billy Mitchell
'GameTime' hosted by Kyle-- http://www.youtube.com/user/GAMETIMEwithKyle

MetalJesus-
Rocks
Administrator
on: August 2, 2013, 08:53

Retro Gaming with a Heavy Metal Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/MetalJesusRocks

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.421 seconds.