Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Someone just dropped $10,000 in your lap...
Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
Post Someone just dropped $10,000 in your lap...
on: November 26, 2012, 09:30

...and you could only spend the money on retro games. You can't use for your Grandmother's operation or take it to Vegas. You can only use it on retro games.

Do you spend it on one or two items? Buy a seal copy of Castlevania or Mario Bros? Something you can't play but will look nice on your shelf. All of your friends will be jealous. Or do you buy a bunch of games you want to play? Maybe get a few $90 or $150 games but the majority would be around $20. It might not be worth much later on but the experience you've gained might be worth more than money. What do you do?

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

LuzZelenia
Pro
Post Re: Someone just dropped $10,000 in your lap...
on: November 26, 2012, 10:41

I'd go on eBay and wait for some massive collector that is selling his enormous collection and buy it to get a good large sum of games right away, then I'd prowl around buying any games I want that he didn't thave in is collection which is now mine. I'd only get good games, if a good game happens to also be valuable then so be it! I may just get a few games for the cool factor that arent particularly on my list, but nothing outrageously priced. I may end up with a few of these from the collectors collection I originally bought anyways.

If I'm allowed to, I would spend the rest on storage for my games and other video game relatd things like guides, art books, plushies, figurines, keychains, etc.

MetalJesus-
Rocks
Administrator
on: November 26, 2012, 12:19

In my opinion, no game is worth spending thousands of dollars on. They may be worth it to hardcore collectors, but my problem is I want to PLAY games and owning something that rare would just make me put it under glass on a shelf.

Instead, I'd buy craploads of regular priced games for all my systems. I'd probably fill out my SNES collection, as well as Saturn, Dreamcast and 7800 collection. It would be fun to spend it! 🙂

Retro Gaming with a Heavy Metal Soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/MetalJesusRocks

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: November 26, 2012, 12:39

Quote from MetalJesusRocks on November 26, 2012, 12:19
In my opinion, no game is worth spending thousands of dollars on. They may be worth it to hardcore collectors, but my problem is I want to PLAY games and owning something that rare would just make me put it under glass on a shelf.

Instead, I'd buy craploads of regular priced games for all my systems. I'd probably fill out my SNES collection, as well as Saturn, Dreamcast and 7800 collection. It would be fun to spend it! 🙂

I agree with you on expensive games. Any game I would spend money on, I'm definitely gonna play. That being said, I wouldn't exactly pass on a factory sealed Atari air raid for $5 xD I doubt I would keep it, though. I'd probably sell it in order to pay for games I really want because I wouldn't be able to handle not playing a game I own.

jsell14
on: November 26, 2012, 15:20

I would try to complete my NES collection. Or at least the majority of it. I would get a lot of the fun, but a little bit expensive games.

I would also complete my Atari 7800 collection. There are not too many games, so I bet I could do that.

I would also get a SNES and some good titles for that.

I love retro games and would appreciate it if you check out my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jsell14?feature=mhee
It doesn't get many views, but I'm working on getting up some good videos and regularly maintaining it.

clamcakes
on: November 26, 2012, 17:00

Can it be arcade machines or does it have to be console games only?

PGen98
Advanced
on: November 26, 2012, 23:28

Easy, I'd buy Psychic Killer Taromaru & Super Tempo for the Saturn, then finish off my North American collection, and use the rest to finish my 2600 and Xbox collections. Plenty to sit on the shelves, even more to play :D.

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: November 27, 2012, 07:41

Quote from clamcakes on November 26, 2012, 17:00
Can it be arcade machines or does it have to be console games only?

Hmmm... I'll say arcade machines are okay. They're games.

Check out my disastrously clever youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuriedOnMars/

Buried On-
Mars
Advanced
on: November 27, 2012, 07:53

I started thinking about this after seeing the $5,000 and $10,000 prices for graded, sealed in box NES games on ebay. As someone who is trying to build a collection, even if I had the money, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a game I couldn't play. Then I started thinking, who would? I know collectors do the same cards and comic books, but at least you can look at a card or a book cover behind plastic. Without being able to unlock the 8-bit sights and sounds locked into the cartridge, I have to wonder if it has any value at all.

LuzZelenia
Pro
on: November 27, 2012, 13:58

Quote from Buried On Mars on November 27, 2012, 07:53
I started thinking about this after seeing the $5,000 and $10,000 prices for graded, sealed in box NES games on ebay. As someone who is trying to build a collection, even if I had the money, I couldn't imagine paying that much for a game I couldn't play. Then I started thinking, who would? I know collectors do the same cards and comic books, but at least you can look at a card or a book cover behind plastic. Without being able to unlock the 8-bit sights and sounds locked into the cartridge, I have to wonder if it has any value at all.

I think the only reason sealed games are worth more money is because they're supposed to. With pretty much every other collectible, sealed is good so it's assumed that it'll translate to games but since games are used not only for looking at but actually playing, having it be sealed is pretty pointless.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.385 seconds.