Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What System should I collect for?
Sh0tee
Post What System should I collect for?
on: October 28, 2012, 02:36

Hello guys. This is my first post on these Forums. I was on the PGRF Forums as-well. My question is What System should I collect for? I am 13 and hope to gain $50 A week (that's what I averaged after my dad said he was willing to pay me for around 4-5 hours a fortnight of work) and I'm wondering what system I collect for. I usually play on emulators. My Birthday is also coming up in less then 2 weeks (9th of November) so maybe I can save up for a system as well (I currently have $105 AU Dollars.) I also live in Australia so prices can be pretty expensive. I currently have a GBA, GC, PS3 (Used mainly for Gran Turismo 5, Fifa 12 and F1 2012 and PS1 Games, PS2, PSP, Original Xbox (Not sure if it works any more) XBox 360, N64, Wii, NDS And 3ds. I don't mind getting loose carts but Boxes for Disc based systems are a MUST. I usually play RPG's, Shu'mps, Racing Games, Extreme Sport Games, Fighters, Beat Em Ups and Platformers

wildbird51-
Pro
Post Re: What System should I collect for?
on: October 28, 2012, 05:55

I'd recommend a Saturn or a Dreamcast. I have both. I was always a Sega freak. At this moment I collect for Saturn and PSP, I have most of the Japanese library for my Dreamcast, so I need to pick just a few titles to complete the set. I go for Japanese stuff, so it's expensive, but it's a matter of taste. Your criteria match Sega Saturn, because they've got a lot of good JRPGs, Shmups and fighting games.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

FirehouseG-
ames
Advanced
on: October 28, 2012, 07:44

Well Like wildbird51-50 said DC and SS are awesome systems but if you have a limited budget and still want to able to buy the games you want I would recommend the SEGA Genesis (Mega Drive) since it's very cheap to collect for and there are a ton of games for it.

PS1 is also dirt cheap to collect for.

Retro Reviews by me 😀 - http://www.youtube.com/firehousegames

"It's not clear to me what to do with that Pong machine"

wildbird51-
Pro
on: October 28, 2012, 09:24

Quote from FirehouseGames on October 28, 2012, 07:44
Well Like wildbird51-50 said DC and SS are awesome systems but if you have a limited budget and still want to able to buy the games you want I would recommend the SEGA Genesis (Mega Drive) since it's very cheap to collect for and there are a ton of games for it.

Saturn games are cheap if we talk the US versions.

Mogul by day, gamer by night. Moscow/Russia gang.

PGen98
Advanced
on: October 28, 2012, 09:42

The Saturn can get very expensive, but it's such a worthwhile system to collect for. I would also agree with either the Dreamcast or Genesis/Mega Drive. Sega systems have such great libraries :).

FirehouseG-
ames
Advanced
on: October 28, 2012, 09:56

Most US saturn games are cheap but there are a lot of crappy games as well. The worthwhile games usually gets rather expensive no matter what region.

BurningDoo-
m
Advanced
on: October 28, 2012, 10:28

Quote from wildbird5150 on October 28, 2012, 09:24

Quote from FirehouseGames on October 28, 2012, 07:44

Saturn games are cheap if we talk the US versions.

Have you been looking lately? Saturn games (even U.S. ones) have been steadily climbing in price in the last couple of years.

Unless we talking the most common or crappy games, the average price of these games usually don't fall under $20. Which may not be a lot to you, but in comparison to other retro-consoles such as NES, Genesis, 2600, or Dreamcast; they are pretty pricey when they range from $20-$40 on average vs. the $5-$25 average on those other systems.

For someone just starting out, I wouldn't start them on a system that's relatively expensive to collect for.

I'd suggest something like the NES, Sega Genesis, or PS2. They all have very large and accessible libraries and there are a lot of great and cheap games out there to find for those systems.

gamester81
Administrator
on: October 28, 2012, 16:08

Hmm...that's a good question. I guess it really depends. The NES is a great console to start, but lately the prices of some of the games have been ridiculous to be honest. I probably recommend getting into a console that is still very easy to collect for and has some awesome games, and that console is the Genesis/Mega Drive. The Genesis/Mega Drive has some awesome shooters, beat'em ups, and owned SNES and other consoles during the time when it comes to sports games. Plus many of the games are still very affordable, and you can get many of them complete in box because the clamshell really lasted the test of time very well.

FirehouseG-
ames
Advanced
on: October 28, 2012, 19:09

Have you been looking lately? Saturn games (even U.S. ones) have been steadily climbing in price in the last couple of years.

Unless we talking the most common or crappy games, the average price of these games usually don't fall under $20. Which may not be a lot to you, but in comparison to other retro-consoles such as NES, Genesis, 2600, or Dreamcast; they are pretty pricey when they range from $20-$40 on average vs. the $5-$25 average on those other systems.

For someone just starting out, I wouldn't start them on a system that's relatively expensive to collect for.

I'd suggest something like the NES, Sega Genesis, or PS2. They all have very large and accessible libraries and there are a lot of great and cheap games out there to find for those systems.

Like I said the Saturn is not to start out with since the cheap games are often the bad ones (not always the case). The US versions of games seems to be the cheapest and the US Saturn Library is the weakest unfortunately. Also the American Cases brake very easily. To collect for the saturn you have to do research and know what you're doing.

The Master System is great to begin with and so is the Genesis since you get a lot...alot! of bang for your buck!

Stay away from nintendo if you have a limited budget...Nintendo collectors these days seem to have very deep pockets 🙂

Sh0tee
on: October 28, 2012, 21:23

Thanks for the suggestion guys! I may go for either the Megadrive Or PS2 because there does seem to be a lot of good games for cheap.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.388 seconds.